* UC Irvine access only
Last Updated: May 22, 2013
- Library 2.2012 Worldwide Virtual Conference
The second annual conference will be held October 3-5, 2012 celebrating innovation in the field of library and information science. Lots of ways to participate - present, sponsor, volunteer, network, partner in this truly global endeavor.
For Chat, Text, eMail and to schedule a Research Consultation with a Librarian, use:
Increasingly many of our licensed library resources are available via mobile devices - this link will tell you what is available and on what platform.
Beginning in Fall, 2008 the UCI PhotoID will serve as your copy card for copying and xeroxing. It requires that money be added to it by inserting it in one of the Regenerator machines found throughout the UCI Libraries. Enter a few dollars at a time and add to it when it is depleted. Costs will be debited at the rate of 8 cents per copy or xerox made; 12 cents per page of printing.
When using Online or Internet Resources, consider Search Engines vs. metasites - evaluate resource - consider domain - .edu, .com, .gov, .org, etc.
Thinking Critically about World Wide Web Resources - or Evaluation Techniques for Internet Resources
- Authority control - authorship - who, affiliation, where
- Currency - note the date, the update, does it reflect the right period of time
- Evaluate the source - establish criteria that is meaningful to covering the topic
- Citing Internet resources - URL & date of the search
- Capturing and citing
This subject page reflects current interests for librarians and information scientists and those who may want to know more these fields. Designed to support working librarians at UCI, it covers current best practices, resources, sources of needed information and trends in academic libraries and the general field of librarianship and library service. Also, attempts to cover trends in profession and related links to subject areas closely aligned to library & information science.
- ALISE Library & Information Science Education Statistical Report
Data from 1997-current about faculty, students, curriculum, expenditures, and more about programs in LIS. From the Associaton for Library & Information Science Education.
- American Library Directory
Call number: (LL Ref) Z 731 A53 (latest)
Provides a listing of public, academic, government and special libraries in the United States, Mexico and Canada, with information on library incomes, personnel, expenditures and automated capabilities.
- Annual Review of Information Science and Technology
Call number: (LL) Z 699.A1 A625
- Association of Research Libraries (ARL) Statistics
Statistics on ARL university libraries from 1963-present and now maintained by the University of Virginia Geospatial and Statistical Data Center.
- Basic Resources Supporting Spanish for Librarians
From REFORMA, the professional body of librarians that serve spanish language populations. Spanish for Librarians includes Spanish alphabet, some notes on Spanish pronunciation, basic Spanish words and phrases, and Spanish library-related words and phrases.
- Dictionary Society of North America
- Directory of ALA Accredited LIS Programs
View programs by state or Canadian province. Also can limit search to schools that offer various distance education options, as well as PhD programs. Maintained by the Committee on Accreditation at the American Library Association.
- Directory of Special Libraries and Information Centers
Call number: Ayala Science Library Ref Z 731 D5
A guide to more than 23,200 special libraries, research libraries, information centers, archives, and data centers maintained by government agencies, business industry, newspapers, education institutions, etc.
- Encyclopedia of Library and Information Science
Call number: (LL) Z1006 .E57 2003
- International encyclopedia of information and library science
Call number: (LL) Z1006 .I57 2003
- Library Lingo
- Library Lingo: A Guide to Library Terminology
- Library Lingo: Some Common Library Terms Defined
- Multilingual Glossary of Library Terms: Language Table
- ODLIS: Online Dictionary for Library and Information Science
- State Library Agency Report 2006
This report marks the first release of library statistics data from the Institute of Museum and Library Services. It contains data on state library agencies in the 50 states and the District of Columbia for state fiscal year (FY) 2006.
- The Bowker Annual Library and Book Trade Almanac
Call number: (LL Ref) Z 731 B68 (latest)
Presents a mix of informed analysis and practical information of interest to the library, information, and book trade communities.
- World Guide to Libraries
Call number: (LL) Z 721 I5
A comprehensive index to libraries in the world.
Julia Gelfand, Applied Sciences & Engineering Librarian
Office: Ayala Science Library 228